June 09, 2005

L is for the way you look at me...


True love. Posted by Hello
Since I have two jobs I don't get to spend nearly as much time as I'd like with both puppy and boyfriend. So on nights when I don't work at the coffee shop I like to take Wolfman Jack out for a long walk. Sometimes it turns into a journey of 2 hours. Yesterday afternoon I put on my headphones, turned on the mini-disc player and clipped his leash on. We headed out into an overcast world to walk where we would.

We headed across the train tracks, around the mill and over to Blossom St. We walked up to the Horseshoe (which is on the USC campus) around the statehouse and back through 5 points. I ran into a friend outside of the Hunter Gatherer (local bar). While I chugged a soda water Jack had a nice cup of water. We were about a mile from the house when it started to rain. I mean rain as in the heavens cracked upon and the wrath of God fell upon the city. As we hit the corner of Blossom and Assembly (one of the busiest intersections in downtown) I hit a spot of slick mud and gravity did the rest. I fell hard and shouted, "Ow". The dog, thinking I was hurt, freaked out and began to jump all over me and lick my face, whining and barking. His little feet left muddy paw prints all over my shirt and I couldn't wipe my eyes because of his frantic licking. My first thought was, "Oh Christ. Like 50 people just saw that. I must look like such a moron." But after a moment I realized that I didn't care. More than anything it made me happy that my puppy was worried about me, that he cared if I was hurt. And I thought, "This is what love is... being worried about someone, wanting to kiss them, love them and make sure they're not hurt." So I pulled myself to my feet, said, "Good dog Jack", patted him on the head and began the long walk home through the rain. Sparklehorse's "Left My Baby on the Side of the Highway" was playing on the mini-disc and Jack was frolicking in the rain. People driving by waved, honked and laughed. And it was okay. We were happy walking in the rain, together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home